SHWARMA, TAHINA & SALAD
This wonderful Mid Eastern street food is easy to make, and totally delicious to eat!
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (vegan's and vegetarians to use large mushrooms sliced, or aubergine, cubed and follow recipe as per chicken)
- 2 -3 Tbsp "Pereg" shwarma spice (or of you can't get that mix together 3 tsp cumin; 3 tsp paprika; 1.5 tsp turmeric, 1.5 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ground allspice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ½ lemon
- 2 white onions
- ½ -1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- Garlic salt/granuals
- Halve, peel and slice the onions and place in a shallow roasting tray on or a baking sheet (can use disposable trays for this to save on washing up)
- Skin and bone out the chicken thighs (if not purchased skinless/boneless) and place in the tray with the onions
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic salt and the shwarma spice on both sides
- Squeeze over the lemon, add the olive oil, and the pomegranate molasses
- Mix this all really well - can use gloves if you prefer!
- Finish with the chicken on top of the onions, and skin side up (where the skin would have been)
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius
- Roast the chicken until brown and slightly crispy – about 30 -40 minutes depending on how thick the thighs are and how efficient your oven is. You will only need 25 minutes for breasts and if using vegetables, stir halfway through
- While the chicken is roasting, make a chopped salad, the tahina sauce and the hoummous (see recipes below)
- Remove chicken from the oven and rest for about 5 – 10 minutes, then slice into small thin slices
- Place slices in a serving bowl with the onions (discrad any liquid left in roasting tray (don't mix in or the dish will become soggy)
- At this point you can cool, refrigerate and even freeze for eating later – to reheat it, defrost (if frozen) and then just panfry the sliced chicken/onions in a little oil over high heat until really crispy.
- Scatter over/mix through some chopped parsley
- Serve in warmed pita or on rice with the tahina sauce, chopped salad, houmous and a chilli sauce if you want.